8.17.2005

What's the meaning in a phrase?

Since the beginning, under my blog title has been this phrase. "Where phrases like'Seeing God in a cup of coffee' come alive." Although I am slowly getting tire of seeing this phrase and am looking to change to something different, I noticed something. I have never talked about the phrase 'seeing God in a cup of coffee.' Oops, so I shall use today to discuss this phrase.

For many people, coffee is a very normal, very regular thing. They get up in the morning and put that coffee on to brew and have a cup of coffee. It is as routine for many as brushing their teeth, maybe ever more. It is a little thing. Nobody, when asked what they did that day, says that they had a cup of coffee along with the other things they list. It is just too common.

I think this is how we look at God. When something big happens, like a person being miraculously healed or a prayer request being answered, we say "Wow, God was really in that." But God is here always, even and especially in the mundane things. We need to look for God in these things that we often just do out of habit. Who knows what we might see.

A wise person once told me that you should thank God for something that happens to us everyday because He is always working in our lives. That can be hard to do when you have a normal, boring day though. This is when you start looking for God in the small, mundane things. Like a cup of coffee. So I encourage you today. Look for God in those things. You'll be surprised where He turns up.

3 comments:

junebee said...

It shouldn't be at all difficult to be thankful when you have a "normal, boring day". It means you didn't have to forage for food, fear for your safety, suffer from illness, seek out shelter, or fight for political freedom. Normal, boring days can be the best!

Proteinstar said...

Proteinstar raises his hands.

"This ones for Jesus!" he shouts.

Shoop and Kay are ya listening?

Nathan Hackman said...

I thank God for my job about twice a week. That makes up for the remaining five days when I think about work and scream "WHY WHY WHY??????"