8.30.2005

The Perfect Storm

So let me get this straight. A 300 hundred mile wide hurricane with 175 mph sustained winds is heading straight for you and you are mandatorily told to evacuate. What do you do? You stay. Why? Why? I don't get it. Why are some people so stupid sometimes? I am not talking about the people that didn't have a choice. I am talking about those others that chose to stay. I have heard the crying wolf scenario. Well let's put it this way. This thing was not just going to disappear. I heard Katrina described as this: A 100 mile wide F3 tornado headed for you. Now is that a little scarier? Yep.

Why don't we always respect nature? It is like we don't really believe the power that nature possesses. And it is just a micro-comparison of God's power. It is said that the creation screams the glory of God. I believe that this is in the beauty and the terror of nature. God is a gracious God but also a terrible God that is to be feared. I don't think that I do this enough. I think that I look at God too many times as my little friend to store in my back pocket until I need Him.

Another thing about this whole storm. Governor Haley Barbour was quoted as saying. "This is our tsunami." What an incredibly stupid and egoist thing to say. The death toll for the tsunami was approximately 226, 000. That doesn't include the complete destruction of the whole area over there either. This destruction is bad, but cannot be compared. The death toll here may hit the low thousands, but nothing even remotely close to 226, 000 people. Maybe we should stop thinking that we are the center of the world. Maybe I should stop thinking that.

Maybe this small tragedy will help us though. I have seen pictures and video of horrible devastation. If I connect that with the knowledge that this is a small fraction of what damage was done by the tsunami, it hits home to me much more than it did before.

Also New Orleans was not a direct hit which is a relief for those that live in and around that city. But since they were not a direct hit, somewhere else was, the damage in Mississippi is much worst. I saw a water tower that was built to be able to withstand 200 mph winds on the ground. Wow. The awesome power of this thing.

Keep this area in your prayers. It will be a long process to begin the recovery from this horribly powerful storm.

7 comments:

Proteinstar said...

Except now all the levees broke and New Orleans is a giant soup bowl of sewage. I've been told it was a dark and sinister city on a spiritual plane. Perhaps...

Anonymous said...

Perhaps what?

Perhaps God is "punishing" the city of New Orleans for having a lot of booze and strippers?

Anonymous said...

I don't understand how you can take issue with what was said - "this is our tsunami" - severe loss of life (not as severe as SE Asia, but were the london bombings that killed a fraction of the 9/11 toll less horrible an event?), huge property loss, and thousands of homeless - a region that might not fully recover for months or years. I think it is incredibly fair to say in a moment of pain/sorry that "this is our tsunami", and is not at all insulting to those affected by the tsunami.

matt said...

To whomever was not gutsy enough to post his name here, let me respond. Let's say that my mom breaks her arm and your mom dies. By your surmise, I can compare these two events and say that I understand what you are going through. For me to say that would be an insult to you because you lost your mother. Barbour's next great statement comparing it to Horshima was just as ridiculous. That man would be better off just keeping his mouth shut. Let quit being egomaniacal Americans and try to make what happens to us more important than the rest of the world.

Anonymous said...

point 1 - I do not know you, I navigated to your page through a friend of a friend of a friend's page with links. therefore, my name would mean nothing to you. does "Mark" mean anything other to you than "he who disagrees". Has nothing to do with guts, my angry friend. i read your blog for entertainment. it's in the public domain, it's there for anonymous readers to find.
point 2 - my mom dies, your mom breaks an arm. not even remotely close to a reasonable analogy. lets be real, here. your mom breaks an arm, she hurts. you wait on her for a bit, no big deal, she heals and is fine. my mom dies, she is gone, all those whos lives she touched now hurt, feel loss and mourning, and never, never get her back. stating that what happened to Louisiana is "our tsunami" is not ego speaking. it's not "we're americans so our little loss is much worse than your big loss". it's simply making an parallel between the kind of human suffering a small part of our country has experienced and that which another part of the world has experienced. Is it appropriate to feel more loss because your neighbor died than when the busload of senior citizens from Topeka died? i don't know. is it natural human emotion to feel more loss when something happens close to home? yes. why can't he express it without being attacked?
Point 3 - Hiroshima - stupid analogy. yes. comparing severe tragedy caused by man to tragedy caused by nature makes no sense. comparing tragedy caused by nature to tragedy caused by nature, that is fine. body count does not alter the seriousness of the situation.

sorry for the lengthy response. i don't mind reasonable discussions. i stated that i did not understand your point of view. please to not attack mine and try and make silly analysis such as "dead mom versus mom with an owie on her arm" to try and make me look stupid. my points are as valid as yours are. i disagree with you. that simple. in life, this happens.

matt said...

I am sorry that you felt attacked. I did not mean to do that. As for my analogy, I believe that it was an extreme one, but not a silly one.

Anyway, thanks for sharing you opinions and we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Proteinstar said...

Does God still use natural disaster and other nations to punish the wicked? ie Assyria and Babylonia punished a wicked Israel. Was Cortez God's punishment for the wicked and depraved nation of the Aztecs? Where the Goths and Vizigoths punishment for a depraved Rome? Or did that end with the Old Testament?