8.02.2005

Grace, it's the name of a girl

I am currently reading a book entitled 'Blue like Jazz'. I have already stated my enjoyment of the book, but I thought that I would go more in-depth. The book is organized in such a way that each chapter centers around a story and tied into that story is a concept of God. The book does not beat you over the head with spirituality or anything. It just gives you something to think about.

The last chapter I read was about grace. When we try to be strict, fundamentalist Christians, we get caught up in all the rules that supposedly go with God. When we try following these rules, we mess up and think that we have failed. This is such a backwards way of thinking. God loves us. He gives His grace freely to us. No matter what we do, He still loves us and is gracious towards us.

This is something that I have trouble with. The unendingness of His love and grace. If I don't do this or that, I feel like I am being bad and not deserving of His grace. That is not true. What we do doesn't change what He gives us. Isn't that incredible? Guilt does not come from Him. Why do I feel guilty and try to live by these rules that are put out by mainstream fundmentalist Christianity. Maybe I should just try to love God. When we really love somebody, we want to do the things that make them happy. Maybe then living for God will be easier and more enjoyable with less guilt.

Just some thoughts.

2 comments:

Nathan Hackman said...

Great post Matt. I often find it difficult to justify some church "rules" with scripture. It often appears that we have taken scriptural passages and built up rules and assumptions based on them that just aren't quite accurate. It is actually Pharasaic in nature, and we all know what Jesus thought about those dudes.

Angel said...

Found your blog through the "next blog" button and enjoyed your postings. I read 'Blue Like Jazz' last year. I enjoyed it so much that I recommended it to friends often.

I was thinking about what you said about the "supposed rules" and subsequent guilt from not being able to live up to them. You provided your own answer, "God loves us. He gives His grace freely to us. No matter what we do, He still loves us and is gracious towards us." The guilt comes from PEOPLE who need to feel holy by showing you that you are not. You already have the forgiveness that counts, revel in the joy of that.

Peace,
Angel