8.04.2005

I've been jazzified!

As I have talked about twice this week, I am reading a book. Correction: I was reading a book entitled 'Blue like Jazz'. I loved this book. I loved this book so much that when I finished reading it last night around 1:00 am, I wanted to start over and read it through again. There are so many points and principles to read about. It is crazy. I know that I missed some of them. Not only that but I wanted to reread all the principles that I took from the book. I don't think that I have ever felt this way about a book. Sadly I can't because I have a list of people that want to borrow it from me.

One of the things that Miller talked about was love. When we intereact with people whose lifestyles we don't agree with, we can tend to withhold love. We do this because we don't want to seem like we are endorsing their lifestyle. There is a funny thing about that, though. Nowhere in the Bible does God put that pre-requisite on love. We are called to love everyone no matter what. It is our responsibility to show everyone love. It is God's responsibility to change them. We should quit worrying about them trying to change. That is for God to be concerned about. We need to accept and love everybody.

Another thing that we need to stop doing is beating up ourselves. The Bible says to 'love your neighbor as yourself'. Here's a question for you. Would you go up to your neighbor and tell him how much of a jerk he is? How ugly she is? How stupid they are? I don't think so. So why is it okay when we tell ourselves that. Just something to think about.

So I loved this book. It was awesome. All I can say to you is go and get it. It will be worth the read and it may even change your life. But God will decide that one.

0 comments: