11.01.2005

Sports Loyalties

When do you wish for other people to feel bad? Competition. Especially when rooting for teams that are playing each other. Last night I was watching the football game with a person that was rooting for the other team. Guess what? It was annoying. I love watching sports with people, but there is nothing like have your team fail and the other people be completely happy in your team's failure and your misery.

Isn't that weird? We are happy when others are miserable. If my team had won, I would have been rejoicing at my friends sorrow. How backwards is that? I happened to notice last night because I was the sad one. When my team threw the ball for an incomplete pass on the last play of the game, I was sitting there with my hand between my head and next to me was a person celebrating in their fortune and my misfortune.

I don't really have a point to make here, just that it is a very strange phenomenon.

2 comments:

Ellie said...

If it makes you feel any better, I wasn't rejoicing in your sorrow. I have to admit that the Ravens are a special case, though. Normally I'm not excited that the other team lost, just that my team won. But with the Ravens, Bengals, Eagles and Browns, I'm secretly happy when they lose as well (especially if they're playing the Steelers). :-) But I wasn't happy that you were upset. Just to clarify. ;-) No hard feelings. I'd be just as annoyed if the tables had been turned, believe me.

Proteinstar said...

I rejoice in the teams defeat. I could care less how their fans feel. If I cared about teams...or sports...or anything for that matter.