11.04.2005

Keytars, Mario, Grieving, a Hoedown and God

"i have never wept like i have wept these past 3 days. i am sad and pissed and grateful. mostly grateful. grateful for every second kyle was given and so thankful for the way he used his time with us."

This was the backdrop for last night's experience. These words were penned by David Crowder. It was part of his reaction to the losing of a best friend. Kyle Lake. This is incredible vulnerability. And it's always there. Not just in horrible situations. You can hear it in his voice when he sings, read it when he writes. An honesty that is refreshing.

Last night I went into downtown DC to Lisner Auditorium to see the David Crowder Band play live. It was 4 days after a dear friend of theirs had died. I was wondering how this would affect the performance. It was involved in that they acknowledged the grief, but it did not overcome them. This is how they approached it. "Death is swallowed up in victory...We Win!"

Quick review of the opening acts. The Robbie Seay Band was good. Shane & Shane could have left the building. They were okay at best. And then David Crowder came out. They rocked the joint. They seemed to enjoy themselves too. It was loud. It was boisterous. It was fun. At one point for a song, they broke out the keytar. I had hoped that after the 80's passed, I would never have to see one again, but alas I was wrong. I survived though and even got to hear the Super Mario Bros song as my reward.

They were tight musically and loose interactively. I was very glad that I went for the show. We even managed to have a hoedown at the end. I HATE bluegrass. So when I heard that the David Crowder Band had included a couple of bluegrass tunes on their latest recording I was a little concerned. It was bluegrass unlike any bluegrass I had ever heard before. It was funny to watch and not too bad on the ears.

Great night, great music from a real group of guys, not guys that have everything together and expect us to.

0 comments: