11.29.2005

November 29, 1975

Thirty years ago to the day, my parents got married. So because they have hit this milestone, I figured I would congratulate them in a public space. Thirty years is a long time. It is longer than I have been alive. Thirty years in love with one another through the ups and downs of life. They haven't always agreed, but they have loved. That is something that I only wish that something I will know and experience.

So how do they do it? Commitment. Tis an interesting word. The root is commit so let us look at what dear ole Webster defines it as: to pledge or assign to some particular course. In their case it was a commitment to each other. To love and honor one other till death do them part. That's not a commitment for a couple of years or until they get sick of making the commitment.

So many people nowadays treat marriage flippantly. Then when they come upon hard times, they just quit because they don't like it or don't want to try anymore. That's sad. I wonder if the same problems would be there if every day each person made a commitment to love the other and make the other happy. I don't think they would be worried about how happy they were if they were thinking of the other person and not themselves.

Anyway, here's to my parents for staying together for thirty years and let's hope for another 30 years or until God decides to take one of them home with Him. Also congrats to all the other marriages that have stood the test of time.

1 comments:

Nathan Hackman said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.