9.01.2005

This is how you should pray

In small group, we are studying a book called 'The Life You've Always Wanted'. This weeks chapter is about prayer which we shall discuss tonight. This got me thinking about prayer. I am not very good at it. My mind goes everywhere and I have much trouble trying to concentrate on God. Not only that, but most of the time it feels like I talking to the ceiling. In the book, Ortberg never really addressed that issue, but he did address the wandering mind issue.

Many times when our mind wanders, it wanders to the same place. This is usually something that is going on in our lives that we are concerned with. Rather than trying to pray for the 'right' thing, maybe we should just try to pray for the thing that is on our mind. I might try this one.

Also prayer was meant to be relational. It should not be just a laundry list type thing. You don't talk to friends or family in a formula or list way. It is very conversational. Maybe this is more how we should approach God. I don't know, just some things to think about.

3 comments:

Nathan Hackman said...

I understand what you are saying, but don't dismiss the "laundry list" too quickly. Your mind will most certainly wander to what is most important in your life, or at least what you think is most important. A few days ago the foremost thing on my mind was finding a wedding caterer. At the same time a friend's wife recently lost her unborn child, and an old High School buddy is facing a year in prison for a DUI crash. So while my mind wandered to thoughts of caterers, that was certainly not the area in most need of prayer. I actually like to make a general list of categories before getting into serious prayer. I still say what's on my mind, but it keeps me from forgetting something, or wandering into my own desires.

matt said...

If I gave the impression that we should dismiss the laundry list, I apologize. I was just saying that I think we may concentrate on the laundry list too much. There are other ways that may be equally or more important. That is all

Nathan Hackman said...

I wasn't offended or anything, unlike "he who disagrees" or whatever. I just saw it a little differently. I find that if I let my mind wander I tend to fall asleep. The list helps with that. Sometimes.