9.21.2005

What an Amazing Concept

"...the difference between Grace and Karma. ...Karma. You know, what you put out comes back to you: an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth,... It's clear to me that Karma is at the very heart of the universe. I'm absolutely sure of it. And yet, along comes this idea called Grace to upend all that "as you reap, so you will sow" stuff. Grace defies reason and logic. Love interrupts, if you like, the consequences of your actions,...I'd be in big trouble if Karma was going to finally be my judge...It doesn't excuse my mistakes, but I'm holding out for Grace."

--from the book "Bono: In Conversation"

It's been said that the difference between Christianity and all other faiths is grace--the idea that we won't get what we deserve. This amazes me when I think about it. I screw up a lot. The amount that I mess up, I don't know if I ever would deserve ANYTHING good happening to me. But right in the middle of that, God steps in. He chooses to. He could have left the entire human race, but He sends grace, love and redemption instead. He wants us.

0 comments: