9.23.2005

Is It Worth Its Number 3 Billboard Spot?

So here I go for 2 music posts in a row. As I promised last week, I would review the album. After listening to it off and on for a week or so, I am prepared. Let me first say this. The copy protection on this cd is not the band's fault. They have no choice. The label puts it on the cd. So don't get ticked off at the band.

Now on to my thoughts. I wasn't sure what would happen after their first major label which was a smashing success. A lot of bands when they hit the big time have a let down on the next album. I do not feel that this happened for Switchfoot. What they released was a good, solid rock album with a couple, intriguing, good quirks.

They get started off rocking away with 'Lonely Nation'. It is a good solid rock song to start off the album. 'The Shadow proves the Sunshine' is quickly becoming my favorite song on this cd with some interesting vocal sounds that were obtained by singing into a grand piano. 'The Blues' is a wonderfully raw sounding ballad where the vocal track is actually from the first demo made of the song. 'The Fatal Wound' uses the harmonica and is a darkly beautiful song. 'Daisy' proves that this album is different from all the others. Although it starts off nice and calm, it ends the album on a rocking note.

For this album, the lyrics were pretty much standard fare for the band. The sound did not stray too far from what they know. That being said, there were differences in this album. Each song had a slightly different feel which was nice. Especially the last half of the album where you aren't really sure what will come next. Another good thing is that it is excellently produced. This is the first thing that hit me. Now I know that I am a sound engineer type dork, but I believe everybody will be able to appreciate the production quality.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Go buy the cd. It will be worth your time and money.

0 comments: