9.14.2005

Under God

So this happened today.

I don't get it. I don't see what the big deal is. I personally enjoyed saying the word God in the pledge of allegiance, but I have been thinking about this recently and this is my question. Why does Newdow have a problem?

Even when I was in school, there wasn't a pledge nazi going around making sure that every student was saying the pledge. I am trying to figure this out, but I believe that the parents do not like this because it is teaching their kids that there is a sovereign being. Now I don't want to get into this discussion right now. I happen to believe that there does exist a sovereign and supreme being who I tend to call God.

That is not my point. This is. There were many things that I was told in school that my parents did not agree with. How did I know this? My parents talked to me about the things that I was being taught. They taught me to think for myself and not necessarily agree with anything that was said. So these parents that are suing are lazy. They don't actually want to have to teach their kids how to think for themsleves. They want their kids to not have any other opinions thrown at them by the schools that contradict their beliefs. I can't believe that somebody would be seriously scarred for life because they heard the word God everyday. How many people walk around saying 'Oh my God'? Those kids hear that word all the time.

2 comments:

Nathan Hackman said...

I agree. I think that most of these suits are petty and stupid. Banning the entire pledge is ridiculous, why not make it voluntary? On the other hand, after some thought, I really could care less. The public school system has been far from a Christian environment for a long time. Secular culture in the US has been non-Christian for some time also, so why should we expect a society that is obsessed with it's own knowledge and pleasure to acknowledge God? I say that its about time they ended the charade. The sooner secular culture admits that they have nothing to do with God, the sooner they will realize that God has something to offer them.

Proteinstar said...

I agree. The law of the land has removed the Bible and God from the equation. So now I think that abortion, gay marriage, bestiality, whatever, are all free game. No God? No rules. Relativism is alive and well but yet the society has to hold on to this concept of God in order to keep from being swept into complete anarchy. Post-modernism has paved the way for Nihilism and worse. Humanists who say we can live just lives by abiding by society's concurrent rule of law are fooling themselves.

We have no right in this current state of America to demand an end to gay marriage, or anything else for that matter. We would have to bring back the premise of God and His statutes to the framework of society.