12.14.2005

I wonder what turkish delight tastes like?

This past Friday I had the pleasure of joining a few others in the watching of a little know movie called "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe." I had been long excited about the coming of the film and was excited to finally watch it.

It was a wonderfully fantabulous movie. Overall, I felt that it was very well done. Whenever a movie is done from a book, I always have concerns. With this movie you don't have to worry about that. For much of the movie they stay very close to the story and never remove or add any major elements. They mostly keep it accurate even down to dialogue. This was a pleasant surprise.

The greatest strength of the movie was the cast. They did an incredible job with everyone. The white witch was cold, Aslan was regal although I didn't really fear him. Susan, Edmund and Peter all did very well at portraying their parts. Mr. Tumnus really made you feel happy and comfortable; yet at the same time torn with fear when he thinks about turning Lucy over. The beavers have wonderful character. They really spent some time trying to make the beaver's marriage real. The interaction between the two was loving, jovial and felt real.

By far though, the one that stole the show was Lucy. She drew me in. I never really wanted her to go off the screen. She was honest and innocent. I was just amazed how wonderful and honest her expressions were.

The CGI was fine. The advantage of having a CGI guy direct the film is that you have some excellent CGI which this film really relies on. The only time I felt that there was too much CGI was in the very beginning.

So go and see the movie. Enjoy the wonderful story that CS Lewis tells and the writers leave virtually unadulterated. Enjoy the beautiful scenery that is shown your eyes. Enjoy the cast that give you an honest look into their lives. And as a side note...can I adopt Lucy?

0 comments: