12.07.2005

Here comes Santa Claus

Every year, during the Christmas season, I break out my Santa hat. I have had this hat for years and probably for the last 5 or so, have worn it consistently. I started out wearing it every day between Thanksgiving and Christmas. For the past couple of years, I have cut back the start of wearing the hat until the second weekend of December usually coinciding with the TWB Christmas party.

This season I have not really been looking forward to the wearing of the hat. Because of this, I have been thinking about why I wear the hat. I started off wearing it because it was fun and original. Very few other people wear Santa hats around and walking around with a big red hat on your head takes a little bit of crazy. But anymore although this brings a bit of joy, it is not enough to motivate me to wear the hat. Other things have happened throughout the years that will motivate me to wear it. It seems to bring laughter and happiness to other people. By wearing the hat, people come out of the world a bit and will either smile at me or say hi. Kids love it and point excitedly and tell their mother that it is Santa. They don't care that a 28 year old guy with no white hair is under the hat. They're just happy to see the hat.

So this Saturday, I shall for the first time this season, put the hat on. I will wear it till Christmas and hopefully bring many smiles to other's faces. Plus I think my friends would lynch me if I didn't wear it.

0 comments: