12.16.2005

Gross Incompetence

Yesterday, we here in central Pennsylvania had a winter storm. This storm started off in the morning with some snow which amounted to about 2 inches. Then we got some ice which covered everything before it turned to a bit of rain. I was out and about till about 9 last evening. The roads were crappy then, but the precipitation was coming to an end. In fact, no more frozen stuff fell and I didn't even have to clean off my car this morning.

Well imagine my surprise when I cam out a bit before 9 this morning and the roads were absolutely crappy! Yes that is the case. PennDoT had around 12 hours to clean off the roads and they just sat on their duffs. That is completely ridiculous. Those roads should have been nothing but wet when I went out. It was even a few degrees above freezing.

Then I had something that happened that encourage my irritation towards PennDoT. I wa coming over a hill on my way to work and there lay in front of me a large patch of ice. Off I went a-spinning down the hill. There was oncoming traffic trying to spin up the hill. Fortunately, I went towards the side of the road and as I was doing my 180 I came to rest in a snow bank. Scared the dickens out of me. Due to my low speed, neither I or my car was hurt. I started my car, put it in first and drove off.

I am very thankful that things went the way they did. I have a feeling I had someone helping me out. It could have been a lot worse than it was, especially since there were cars on the road that I could have hit. Anyway, thanks to the Big Man Upstairs.

Off to Buffalo I go to see a Bills game. It is my first NFL game live and you can be sure to get a report next week.

0 comments: