7.19.2005

Who wants to tour France?

Evidently 100s of bicycle riders want to. This year's Tour de France is coming to a close in 5 days. Again as like the last six years, Lance Armstrong is in charge. Is this good for the sport? I doubt it. Is it good for the sport in America? Yes. Americans love Armstrong. I am glad that he conquered cancer and came back to be one of the best bike riders ever, but I am ready to see someone else win. I am glad that he is retiring after this Tour. It will be nice to follow others. Can Basso win it? Can fellow Americans, Landis or Leipheimer win it? It is time for the Tour to have some drama.

This is where I stand. Lance, I hope you win it this year. I can't wait till next year's Tour where there will be more suspense. And I also wish I hadn't lost my yellow band. DOH!

As an aside, I would like to tour France, just not on a bike.

4 comments:

Nathan Hackman said...

Rumor has it that Alexander Vinokourov will be switching to Team Discovery next year after being betrayed by his team (T Mobile) in favor of Jan Ullrich this year. I'd say Vino or Basso will win next year. I'd love to see Hincapie, but he doesn't have the overall depth. If Tyler Hamilton can clear himself in the blood doping scandal he could also be a winner. The thing about the Tour is that it is so long, and depends on so much luck, that there are 5-10 guys that have a shot at next year. Personally I would love to see some more of Dave Zabrinskie.

Proteinstar said...

Blows my mind that out of so many competitors that one man could singlehandedly dominate the sport. Well Shumacher does it so I guess it's not that surprising.

Nathan Hackman said...

Yeah, I think that its the era of sports that we currently live in. The last 10-20 years of sports have marked by domination. Think about names like Armstrong, Jordan/Chicago Bulls, The Yankess, The Lakers, Schumacher/Ferrari, Tiger Woods, Honda (motorcycle racing), The Cowboys, The Patriots, DEI, Hendrick Motorsports. I'm sure the rest of you can name some more. There aren't many sports that haven't had some period of domination in recent history. There are numerous reasons why this is, but I'm getting awfully close to deletion for length.

matt said...

I want you to know rover that it was not the length that got the comment deleted, but the blatent copy of the post that did.