5.25.2006

I don't like Walmart

I currently trying to describe if the word 'hate' is too strong for how I feel about Walmart or just about right. Either way, I greatly despise Walmart. Many people ask, 'Why? How can you hate such a wonderful store?' It is easy I tell you, easy.

First off, let's just start with the basics. The aisles are too crowded, there are never enough cashiers and traffic around a Walmart is always horrible. These are the surface reasons why I don't like Walmart.

Why else you ask? I'll be glad to tell you. They kill Mom&Pop stores. They come in to an area and undercut the businesses with prices that aren't even possible for them to make a profit on. They cut some prices low to get you in the store and then you spend another $40 you weren't planning to. They treat their employees horribly, whether it be benefits or salary. They low-ball their suppliers too. If you want to carry something in a Walmart, you have to bend over and say, 'Thank you sir; may I have another?' They don't run by honest, ethical or moral business practices.

That's just the start of why I can't stand Walmart.

4 comments:

Nathan Hackman said...

While I tend to agree with you, I also have a coworker who put himself through college by working at Wal-Mart and taking advantage of their tuition assistance program. He only has very good things to say about the way he was treated. I personally refuse to buy anything there that costs over $100 dollars. Their quality is complete crap and I don't have that kind of money to waste on something that will break within a year.

stephen said...

Oh Wal-Mart, what did you do to deserve this?

Let me address your statements regarding aisle and parking lot crowding as well as cashier shortages. Visit at off-times. I can tell you that shopping at Wal-Mart on a Friday night or before noon on Sunday is a breeze. And on the occasional visit, when all the check-out lines are packed, I will go back and check-out at the electronics register or the garden register. Give them a chance under ideal conditions. And don't go on a Saturday.

Regarding Mom & Pop. I would love to shop there. But they can't compete price-wise. And because of my level of income, I can't afford to pay their prices. If I had the money, I'd buy all my stuff at the farmer's market. Maybe someday...

And here's the key to the supplier issue: "If you want to carry something at Wal-Mart." Vendors choose to have Sam sell their stuff. They could sell on-line or through other means of distro, but Sam doesn't choose them, they choose Sam. But because the bottom-line is so important to these vendors, they feel they have to be on the shelf at Wal-Mart to compete.

matt said...

As for your points. Even on off times, there are not enough registers. You still end up waiting in a 10 person line at 11 pm on a Friday night. So they don't know how to run a store.

Mom & Pop. I am glad to see that it is all about the money for you. I make less money than you and still manage not to shop at Walmart. You can do it if you shop smartly. I think we need to be ethical shoppers as well.

The fact is these distributors are backed into a corner. Walmart opens up in an area and immediately multiple stores close down. Because Walmart forces all these stores out of business, the suppliers only have one store that they can place their stuff in...Walmart. Then Walmart can low-ball them. Part of the whole monopoly problem.

Walmart deserves it because they run a monopoly, unethical business.

stephen said...

Is it better that you give you give your grocery money to Giant/Ahold instead of Wal-Mart? And if so, why?