5.05.2006

Big Bunch of Bunk

There is a prevailing thought among people today. Especially, those church-type people. The idea that there is one person out there for each of us to marry. It is an idea that really irritates me, because I have never seen any plausible reason to believe. People just say that there is one and never offer any reason for that belief of their's.

Another problem is that it has really screwed up people, especially in the Christian world. The thought goes like this, "I don't have to look around or try to date anyone, because God will drop the person into my lap when the time is right." What a bunch of crap!

So you have all these people waiting around for "the one" and not dating anyone because they don't think the person is "the one." So we make the giant lists of qualities that the one will have and don't get to no anyone without those qualities that we think are so important. Maybe if we dated, we would find out of they are important qualities.

A friend of mine has said before that he thought he could marry pretty much anybody because marriage is so much about waking up every morning and decided to love and live with your spouse. I don't know if that ideal is right either, but it doesn't seem as screwed up as the idea of "the one."

4 comments:

Nathan Hackman said...

I think that there might be "one" for us, but I don't see how that makes you want to date less. If there is only one person for you it would be logical to date more in order to increase your chances of finding that person. I totally agree with you that people get really messed up over this though. There were some girls at college that I really could have been into if not for their bizarre expectations of "the one." But if that weren't the case then I wouldn't have wound up with "the one" I'm with right now right? See that, it's messing me up already.

Proteinstar said...

I am THE ONE. KUNG FU CHOP!!!

matt said...

This is how the idea of the one makes people date less. They believe that God has destined one person for them. Because of this, they also decide that God will bring this person to them when it is time. Therefore, they decide to wait for God to bring them the one rather than getting out and dating.

Nathan Hackman said...

Proteinstar, that is by far the funniest comment in a long time. Everyone in my office is wondering why I am rolling with laughter!