6.16.2005

The x's and y's of 'X & Y'

Well, here it is. After three years Coldplay has decided to release another album. This time it is produced by Brian Eno of U2 fame. Let me start by saying this is a very good album. I like it from beginning to end. I didn't need it to grow on me, but liked it from the start. In fact, I have liked it more the more I have listened to it.

A question you may ask is if it sounds like their other ones. The answer is yes, although I will say that the whole album doesn't sound as much like their old stuff as the current single 'Speed of Sound' does. Speed of Sound seems like it came right out of "Rush of Blood to the Head". This is why the album is not great, but just very good. The drummer is as solid as ever with his what seem to be simple but complex drum beats. He has a great ear for different. The guitar is much more interesting on this album as opposed to the last two. It seems like as a band they have really grown musically. The song styles are much the same a lyrically don't stray far from their usual. They did some great things with some off key fighting chords that just work beautifully together. The oddest song for me was 'The Hardest Part'. It is a very poppy song towards the end of the album. It just caught me off guard with its American Pop feel.

I did not like the synths that Brian Eno used. He has done it with U2 also. I don't understand why they don't actually use an orchestra. It would sound so much better. But with that being one of my few complaints for this album, I shall be happy.

The pearl on this album is the 'Hidden Song', track 13. 'Til Kingdom Come' was a song that was written for Johny Cash. When he passed away, it never got recorded. Coldplay decided that they would record it for this album. It is nothing like they have ever done which is great. It has a folksy acoustic feel. A beautifully simple song. Wow. So I encourage you to buy this if you have liked Coldplay's previous efforts. It will not disappoint. A solid record from a solid band.

1 comments:

Proteinstar said...

Brian Eno is the king of the synth. He is probably one of the greatest ambient artists of all time. Although Global Communication is a close second.

It's just in his blood. Just try his Music for Airports.