4.06.2006

One of my Favorite Writers

Last night I had the privilege of hearing Donald Miller speak. I thought that he may lecture or talk about a couple points, but he choose rather to do a couple book readings. First he read an article called Tolkien was no hobbit. He took some questions and then read the first chapter of his new book To Own a Dragon.

His delivery in speech is much like his books. Very unassuming, humorous yet thoughtful. He shared many different thoughts while reading, before and after reading. Things that I am still pondering.

One of them was this. Poverty is mentioned in the Bible over 200 times. Homosexuality is mentioned twice(this can be debated due to some inferences, but still not close to 200). I don't believe that we can ignore what the Bible says on anything even once, but what an indictment on the American church. We are very passionate and hear a lot about homosexuality, but rarely poverty.

0 comments: