4.24.2006

Musings on Death

I had the privilege of attending a memorial service this weekend. It took place in upstate New York and is not one of those events that I enjoy going to. But at the same time, I know the family pretty well and am good friends with a couple of them. It was amazing how much it meant to them, just that I was there. I didn't need to say anything or even do anything. Just be there to support them.

How many other times do our friends need us or just want us there with them through their struggles and we aren't? Either our schedule is too important and we don't feel like it. We figure that they'll be okay, but don't realize that they would much better with us there to support them.

As I was at this memorial service I was thinking about death and how it changes people that are affected by it. Some people get angry at the world, some depressed, some even feel liberated by it. Mostly negative things from the deaths of our loved ones. I was glad to see that the family was just as spunky as usual. The wife who had lost her husband was doing okay. She seemed somewhat happy and fun as usual. She hadn't been changed by that. That's not to say that this family wasn't hurt or affected by the death of their patriarch, just that it wasn't going to define them. To rule them.

0 comments: