7.05.2006

The 15th Wheel

Last night I was at a cookout with a bunch of my friends. These were the types of people that were there throughout the night. Three dating couples, one engaged couple, one married couple with two young girls and me. That just sucks. Don't get me wrong, I love to be around these people and I had fun, but still it can just be a bit hard sometime.

To be the only single adult there. Even if nothing is explicitly said, the facts are still there and the facts usually bother me when it comes to things like this. I would say that it is hard being around all that cheese, but it wouldn't be true or honest.

Where am I in this whole thing? This whole dating world. I am nowhere. I am in limbo land. Mainly because I am going to Germany in 4 weeks. But yet I have been in limbo land for the past several years and I have no excuse for that. Now I am not worried about this state that I am in. Most of the time, I greatly enjoy my singleness. But there are just those times that it just gets to me. The older I get, the less single people I am around. I will just have to get used to that fact.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you'll find some nice fraulein and fall madly in love. ;-) Seriously - I was exactly where you are a little over one year ago, and then out of the blue, I started dating someone. All that to say that you never know what God may do. It may not help a lot or feel good right now, though. I'm glad you're honest about it.

stephen said...

And at least you continue to make the effort to hang out with them. If it was me, I might have considered bailing out. But you thrive on people a lot more than I do.

Do you find this bothers you more on nights like this than on Tuesday nights? I'm more getting at whether or not social situations like a cookout create a greater contrast then say some competitive situations (like gaming).

matt said...

It's the first time that I really noticed it. Like I said, nothing was done or said to cause me to think about it. These people are very normal that usually aren't over-couplely around everyone else. I just noticed the demographics of the evening.