2.10.2006

What's in a Name

For the next couple of weeks, the winter Olympics will be held in Torino, Italy. Many people over on this side of the pond may know it as Turin, Italy, which has the Shroud of Turin. So, why do we have two different names here and which is right?

Well, Torino is the Italian name for the city. Turin in the English name that was given to it by the brits which carried over to the USA. This seems troubling to me. I can say Torino as well as I can say Turin. Why to we find it necessary to change the names of cities to what we may want? Why can't we just call their cities what their natives call them? This seems very egotistical to me.

Fortunately for the Olympics, NBC, who has the television coverage here in the states, is calling the city Torino. And I am going to enjoy watching the Olympics. Especially when they are in another country, you really get to learn about another culture. A great chance to maybe take a little bit of good ole American egoism out to lunch.

Now is it Munich or Meunchen...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll remember to put your address as "Harris' Ferry" the next time you get some mail. :-)

Nathan Hackman said...

I'm confused as to how it is American egotism if we inherited Turin from the Brits, but aren't using it anyway. Unless you are referring to the pompous hype the media attaches to American athletes, if so I agree with you. Unless, of course, we are playing Canadians, then I think that we should feel superior.

matt said...

Point taken. I sometimes make mistakes in my thoughts. I still believe that Americans are pretty self-centric and egotistical, but this would not be proof.