8.14.2006

The Pressure

Have you ever felt like you have to feel a certain way for the people around you? Recently I moved to Germany and was told about how amazing a time I would have. Everybody is so excited about the wonderful time I will have.

Well, there are always ups and downs that we experience in our lives no matter where we are. So what do I tell people. Do I tell them that I sometimes am not doing incredibly or do I just keep it back? The funny thing about this is that I know they want to hear anything that it going on, good or bad. They want to hear honesty. But I have built things up in my mind.

It is amazing how other people's expectations affect us. I have talked about expectations from our side, but never really thought about it from the other way. It is something different to be under other's expectations.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt, I am a regular reader of your blog but I haven't been following too closely this summer. (This is because of the recent deaths of my mother and grandmother NOT the content.) I had no idea you were moving to Germany.

I moved to New York last year and I found that it was much easier to just be honest when people asked me how I liked it. It opened new avenues of conversation and I have some good authentic relationships now. If a person expects to hear that you are fine, then they shouldn't ask you. They should just say "You're doing great!" and go on.

This is a unique opportunity for you to literally start fresh every single day. I am sure the people in your life in the US miss you a lot.

You are in my prayers.

Tracy