10.10.2006

Criticism

n. A critical comment or judgment

Why do we react so negatively to this word? Is it because it is used almost exclusively negatively? It is such a small word with such powerful impact.

Today I experienced some constructive criticism. It was done kindly with the best of intentions. And you know what? It sucked. I hated it. Not only that but now I feel like a bit of a failure. I strive to do some things right and find that I am not. That stinks.

So why is this the case? I have an idea. Maybe it is because we are much better talking about the negative than encouraging people. It would be interesting to do a study on a person's positive comments as opposed to their negative comments. I wonder how much their negative comments would win by. I know that it would be a landslide for me. And I am even an optimist.

Now about the judgment word...

2 comments:

Proteinstar said...

Don't be too bummer out. Your still a champ in my book!

Nathan Hackman said...

I know what you mean man. I try to avoid criticizing others (to their faces) because I am horrible at it. No matter how I approach it I always come across like, "Hey! You Suck!." Sorry, today wasn't awesome for you. Then again, when I try to be encouraging I come across as an ungenuine jackass. Yeah, I'm awesome.