1.11.2007

What would it be like?

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
Nowhere below us
Above only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one
-John Lennon

2 comments:

Nathan Hackman said...

I'm not sure what you're getting at with this post, but here are my thoughts. I've long thought that this is one of the dumbest songs I've ever heard. Initially it seems utopic and great, but when you think about it it actually isn't. There are three lines in particular that stand out to me.

1. "Imagine there's no heaven." Isn't that like saying,"Imagine there is no hope?"

2. "Nothing to kill or die for." I can think of only a handful of things that I'm willing to die for, but each one of them makes life beautiful. I wouldn't want to experience life without them, if you could call that life. The killing could go though.

3. "Imagine all the people living for today." A large proportion of people out there are living for today, and that's one of the big problems with the world. It doesn't matter if they are looking for drugs, money, or whatever, life for them is all about how they feel right now. It goes back to the heaven thing, there is no future hope.

For what its worth, thats my opinion. If you like the song than just ignore the last paragraph and read the next sentence. That song rocks!

matt said...

Okay, OKay.

It is fine if you don't like the song. I find other meanings in it. Now granted, the first verse is a large bit of poo, but I thought that there was some neat stuff in the song, so for better or worse I put the whole song up.