3.09.2011

“If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well.” - MLK Jr.

I love this quote. We were made to be who we were made to be. Not Beethoven, not Shakespeare. But how often do we want to be someone else. How often are we not happy with who we are or what we do. Right now I am a tutor. It is not my favorite thing, but a good thing. Although most likely not what I was made to do for the rest of my life, it is what I am doing now.

I should do the best that I can. Not to keep the job, not to be popular. No, because he who made me is watching and loves my tutoring self.

1 comments:

Mindy said...

It's hard to be where your heart isn't. I've felt guilty a time or two that I dislike my good stable job (in fact you can have it, if you want it) when my dad or grandfather worked the same job for decades in order to provide for their families...and they did it without complaining. But on the other hand, God gives dreams to each of us and equips us with gifts to be used...it's okay that I don't like my job and want something different. But as you mentioned, the key is attitude, I think...investing where you are and doing the job to best of your abilities. Not for my own sake but to be salt/light to those around me and to bring glory to our Maker.

Good thoughts, Matt.